Monday 16 May 2016

"Engineering team to level 17 - we have a problem with waste disposal"


The Ogryns Security detachment had broken the latrine system yet again! What in the name of the Emperor did they try to flush away?! Sub-Engineer Grungi, Menial Holst and mobile diagnostic unit BM-B02 were despatched to investigate...
 

 
I put together this small engineering team after a mate recently gave me the cute little robot. He's made half a dozen or so of these robots to represent bombots for use in his Rogue Trader squat force. If you're not familiar with bombots, then head off to p121 of the Rogue Trader rulebook:
 
Bombots, p121 Rogue Trader

I'm not 100% sure on the components used to build these bombots, but I know the base tracks are from the Space Hulk C.A.T., and there are some backpack bits and plasticard in the mix as well.
 
I may well use the bombot as intended in some games, but I quite like the idea of it being a diagnostic unit for an engineering team. The squat engineer from the Rogue Trader Adventurers range seemed a logical robot controller. I also added in a menial using one of the Star Ship crew from the old Acropolis Future City range (still available from The Baggage Train).
 


The squat engineer and his 'bot got a very simple grey and yellow colour scheme, with splashes of red on the 'bot's lens, and the squat's badges.


I also did a little bit of weathering on the bot to make it look like the yellow paint was chipping off.



The menial got the same primarily grey and yellow scheme as his crew-mates, although I added in a few additional colours as the heavily layered outfit required it.


The Future City figures are pretty crudely sculpted - slightly dodge anatomy, and pretty flat along the line of casting. This sculpt also had no right thumb, which I rectified with a small sausage of greenstuff in order that he can hold his ghetto blaster... tool box I mean!


I suspect that innocent-looking engineering 'bots may be unexpectedly exploding in future scenarios - it only seems right!

22 comments:

  1. I've been after that Squat mini for ages! Seems like I'm the only one on the blogosphere who doesn't have one :(

    He looks cool with the colour scheme you've chosen for him Jon. Top stuff man :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's definitely one of the more elusive from the adventurers range - I think he was one of the last ones I tracked down. Keep the faith, you'll find one eventually!

      Delete
  2. The team makes so much sense.
    It's like they had to be and you corrected the mistake of their absence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased you think so - like a little mini set that was released circa 1990 perhaps? :)

      Delete
  3. Top stuff mate. I love these personality driven side projects. That bomb bit is great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I could spend all of my hobby time doing similar projects I think - it's what I enjoy most :)

      Delete
  4. Tidy job mate - the grey & yellow works beautifully, and I adore the little robot with the explosive personality! Top draw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's just lovely. Reminiscent of early Red Dwarf - one wonders what adventures they will go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt they're likely to be nearly eaten by a curry monster or somesuch ;)

      Delete
  6. Fantastic! A clever little set: they could be the focus of some fantastic scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely fellows ,packed full of character!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely fellows ,packed full of character!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice little team, that you could expand or keep as is. That future city figure is a nice find, and if it has flaws, you have rectified them nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Future City range is naive, but has some really interesting figures in it. I certainly plan to do more.

      Delete
  10. Absolutely cool guys, they blend in perfectly, pretty nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! I really enjoy mixing and matching.

      Delete
  11. It's referred to as a Technical Logistics Waste Relocator and Refining Engineer to your sir! ;) XD
    I obviously made that up but there's nothing fake about your excellent painting axiom. Waster disposal engineers' uniforms never looked this good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Should I add more grime do you think?! :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete