Wednesday 10 December 2014

Cultists of the Silken Veil

The Cult of the Silken Veil is espouses personal growth through broadening of horizons and exploration of new experiences. Many of those who sit in the kafee and bliss houses are unaware of the true nature of the seemingly benign cult, which opens it's doors to all.

Those in the Cult's inner circle know different; by guile, deceit and entrapment of the curious, they are doing the bidding of Slaanesh!

Cultists of the Silken Veil


It's not very often I spent a long evening painting more than one figure, but I really wanted to get working on the two Cultists straight away. As a reminder, the unpainted figures are below. The two-headed mutant is an old Jes Goodwin beastman with new plastic pistols from the Dark Vengeance Cultists. The other Cultist is actually a Rogue Trader Ork with a head from an Egyptian Eunuch from Dark Fable Miniatures.


Eunuch-Cultist Moktafi is employed by the Cult to offer security at it's pleasure houses. Being emasculated has not halted Moktafi - he has learnt to find alternative methods of bliss.

Eunuch-Cultist Moktafi
Moktafi was given a very pale skin tone. Although I hadn't intended to go with pink for the Slaaneshi Cultists, I couldn't help myself and go with the traditional colours. I quite like the contrast between the skin and the black / pink / blue armour on the lower half.

Mutant Gron-Slom was sought out by the Cult for his mutation...and it's unique potential application. Few ordinary bliss house customers will ever encounter the disturbing mutant - his skills are reserved for trusted adherents.


Mutant Gron-Slom
Although Gron-Slom is part of the Cult, I wanted him to remain ragged and worn...painting the loincloth the same pink as Moktafi would have jarred, so I attempted to tie him in with the dark pink on the lower legs - perhaps skin colouring, perhaps he has circulation problems, or perhaps it's as a result of some depraved ritual!





15 comments:

  1. The silken Veil, what a dreadful place this must be...
    These are both wonderfull, well done nailing those 2 in so little time ! I really like that pae fleshtone with a purplish hue though, make sit look good with the pink and black.
    The beastman's feets are a nice touhc, jus the sort of details that make you ask question and therefore immediately deepen the character.

    Good choice for the lonclothe too, it wold have been too busy in pink. I really like how their depravation is not visible at first but shows only after a while, you don't realise immediately the proportions are odd at first (well you do see one has 2 heads...). But it's subtle in a way. Major fan of those !
    Don't tell me you have no plan for one of JG's slaanesh champs, I won't believe you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flesh uses the modern GW Rakarth Flesh and Pallid Wych Flesh washed with flesh wash (with a touch of purple mixed in). I have to say, they're the first of the revamped paint range I've used, and I'm pretty impressed - lots of pigment and easy to use. On the downside, both paints are quite thick, so I've been watering down heavily and I hope they don't dry out. I was worried out the feet were going to work out, so I'm pretty happy with the result!

      As for JG's Slaanesh champs...I do have a figure lined up - I'm still not sure how much or little work to do to it ;)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work, Jon. Wasn't expecting to see them finished yet. The Ork body works perfectly here; I don't recall ever seeing a human fused with one before! That skin on the mutants' legs is brilliant. Adding another tone was certainly the right move as a figure like that can appear limited for options of colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. It's funny how some models can sit unpainted for months, and others get catapulted to the top of the painting queue. I think I just like these two!

      I reckon there's plenty of Ork bodies with potential...and having them as slightly odd characters sort of justifies the hunched shoulders and big hands. Again, glad you like the mutant legs - I think it was worth the gamble :)

      Delete
  3. Great work!
    These two are so full of character, solid candidates for scavvy gangers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree, the mutant in particular would fit right in. I do have figures planned for a scavvy gang - I might use the light brown on them too (snakebite leather still going strong!)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous work indeed. I love the two headed mutant in particular, and I was already planning to use the same model for one of my own cultists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross...the original model is actually one of my all time favourite - exactly what a mutated human should look like. I have an unmodified version I'd like to paint one day.

      Delete
  5. Love it. Your work is exceptional man...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job as usual Jon.

    Wish I had your ability to output miniatures of a high standard and at such a high rate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. It's all down to a regular painting slot...most weeks I can guarantee 3-4 uninterrupted hours painting on a Monday night (last night was a bonus night!). It's now part of the routine!

      Delete
  7. Very well done. Those are fabulous conversions. And the backstory behind your cult genuinely makes me wish I had some chaos of my own. (Well, more than the trophy formerly mounted on a tank as a hood ornament.) Well done indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually had a hybrid Rogue Trader / 2nd / 3rd edition Slaanesh army which I sadly sold back in ~2000....I think these guys are reclaiming a little of that list vibe!

      Delete
  8. These are assbleedingly awesome! Wanted to reply when I saw the blog post the other day but couldnt get time in at work - how do you manage to blog mid day? :) Anywho great job - also on the Inquisitor and the Tzeentch Mino!

    ReplyDelete