I don't believe that either the Perrys' 2nd edition Dark Elves or Gary Morley's 3rd edition Dark Elves make the grade, especially when compared against Jes Goodwin's 2nd edition Elves.
|1988 Dark Elves. Just a little dumpy and short-legged for my taste!|
|Mid-1990s Dark Elves, more dyanmic, but with rather large feet & hands.|
|1988 Blood Bowl Elves. Just fabulous!|
The one exception to this rule is the fabulous Tuern Redvenom Star Player, sculpted by (surprise, surprise), Jes Goodwin.
|Look at this guy. I wouldn't want to mess - would you?|
I've long thought that it was possible that I could do something interesting to Jes' excellent 2nd edition Elves to make them fit alongside Mr Redvenom. The project is now around 4 months old, and this is how things stand:
I like Tuern so much, I've effectively used him four times in the squad:
- Mask replaced with a Great Harlequin mask, legs from a Wood Elf Champion.
- Mask converted into a hockey-style mask, arm from a 1988 Dark Elf Thrower, plus a ball from my bits box.
- Mask from an Elf Blitzer, pointing arm from an Elf Thrower and legs from another Wood Elf Champion.
If you're still 'Old-Bowling' Witch Elves are a new addition to the team roster, while Runners are effectively non-throwing Throwers (make sense?). I had a lot of fun making these 3.
- Witch Elf A: Harlequin legs, torso & head from an Avatars of War Dark Elf Sorceress, gloves from my bits box and sculpted belly armour.
- Runner: torso from an Elf Kicker, legs from an Elf Blitzer.
- Witch Elf B: body from an Elf Cheerleader, hand and head from a plastic Dark Elf Sorceress.
|Witch Elves & Runner (centre)|
Hopefully once painted, these guys should look distinctively different from the source models. Linemen 1, 2 and 4 are all variations on the same conversion - an Elf Lineman with heads and extra pads from the Perrys' 1988 Dark Elves. By sculpting on some breastplates and creating boots, I think these guys make pretty decent Dark Elves. The final Lineman is a variation on the theme, but this time converted from a Wood Elf Wardancer. I'm still debating whether to give him a loincloth like the others to tie him in visually.
Now the converting's done, I need to work on the bit I'm slowest at / dislike most...painting!